Monday, December 3, 2012

Okay, so maybe I like to read


Hello my lovely blog readers! I just finished this book the other day and it was great. Its 360 pages but I was able to fly through it because it was such an easy and good read. Mr. Darcy's Daughters was written by Elizabeth Aston, who studied under Jane Austen biographer Lord David Cecil at Oxford. This book picks up 20 years after Lizzy and Darcy marry, and follows the exciting lives of their five daughters. Darcy and Lizzy have gone to Constantinople, which leaves the girls in London for "the season" of parties, balls, dinners, and much more. The oldest, Letitia, spends her time worrying and fretting about her other sisters' well being, while the youngest, Alethia remains in the school room practicing music. Then there are the loquacious, flirtatious, rambunctious twins, Georgina and Belle, who frolic from party to party with Aunt Lydia. Camilla, the second oldest, independent and maybe a little outspoken, spends time with world travelers to feed her curious mind. All of the girls have much to learn about themselves and the ways of the "big city" and what it can offer (and take away) from them. If you're an Austen fan then I highly recommend this book. Aston has also written 4 or 5 more books that are spin-offs of Austen novels, and I hope to find them and read them soon.
Also on my "to read" list are:

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

Yes, its just because it's coming out on film. I think I have a problem with this: any time I find out that a they are making a book into a movie, I have to read it. Even though I will enjoy the book more. Even though I have been disappointed almost every time, and will probably be disappointed again. I have to. I hate watching a movie and thinking, I wonder if this is how it happened in the book. Plus, I heard this was a good one. Obviously LOTR was a success (no I didn't read that one, I was only 12 when the movies came out) so hopefully this one will be too. Plus my parents had a copy laying around and I snagged it when I was home for Thanksgiving.

The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling

If you know anything about me you know that I'm pretty much obsessed with anything and everything Harry Potter; and I figured since Rowling wrote a series as amazing as HP, then this book couldn't be half-bad. The Casual Vacancy is her first "adult" novel and it too, has magical aspects. I have to say I'm pretty excited about it. I just have to get my hands on it.... or if it turned up in my stocking (hint, hint) that would be cool too.

Identical by Ellen Hopkins

My good friend Morgan wrote about this book on her blog a while back and it sounded interesting, following the lives of two twin sisters who are hiding some pretty dark secrets.

I Love Everybody (and Other Atrocious Lies) by Laurie Notaro

So I've heard good things about this book. I found it on a pinterest link and there were good reviews on bn.com. It's supposed to be a very funny account of a woman going in her thirties.

I could go on, but I'll just leave it at those four. For now. After I read them I'll let you people know how it went. I am usually a good book-picker-outer and haven't come across many that I haven't enjoyed, or at least been able to finish. I hope everyone had a fabulous Monday and has an even better Tuesday! Good night and TTFN!

"To read is to fly: it is to soar to a point of vantage which gives a view over wide terrains of history, human variety, ideas, shared experience and the fruits of many inquiries." --A.C. Grayling