Monday, February 8, 2016

This is What I Know For Sure

Have you read Oprah's book What I know For Sure? I haven't read it but my friend Ashten (who actually wrote a similar post to this one) says it's wonderful and I'm going to take her at her word (and add the book to my TBR list). There are a lot of things in this world that I'm unsure about. Like, whether or not me or my husband will lose our jobs in the next year (I hope not) or whether I'll be able to have children when the time comes (I hope so) or if I'll come home to toilet paper shreds all over the house because our cats got in a feisty mood while we were at work (highly likely).

My point being - there are so SO many unknowns, and if that's all we focus on then we'll  just end up driving ourselves crazy. So I decided to think about some things that I do know without a doubt.



It's okay to like things that are different from other people's likes. 
Basically, it's not wrong to be different. It's actually pretty normal to be different. When I was younger, I had a hard time coming to terms that I disliked some of the things my friends loved and vice versa. I wanted to be cool, to have tons of friends and to do this I thought we all needed to like, totally love the same things. Now, I realize that it is sometimes our differences rather than our likeness that can bring us closer together. 

Our failures help to shape us into better people.
Just like being different is normal, failing is also. It's just a part of life - and a crucial one at that. I've talked before about failing nursing school the first time around. It taught me that life is hard and just because some things come easily, some things take a lot of blood, sweat, and tears to accomplish - and it makes the finally getting there all the sweeter. 

There's not much that can beat a bowl of ice cream.
Particularly a bowl of Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla ice cream. Growing up, it was a staple in our household and when my husband said he "didn't really eat Blue Bell" I knew he would learn to love it (and he did). 

Friends will come and go, and that's okay.
Throughout college I met some gals (and guys) that I thought would be a part of my life forever. Turns out I was wrong. We didn't get in a fight or anything, they were just a part of my life that wasn't meant to last. Like blunt-cut bangs and gaucho pants, some things just aren't meant to be in my life long term. 

Coffee may not fix everything, but it sure helps. (There's not much else to say on that subject.)

It's okay to be wrong. 
This one took a long time to figure out - my Aries nature and my stubborn personality can sometimes keep me from admitting fault or being wrong. But with age comes wisdom, and I've learned (especially in marriage) that life is so much easier when you can admit that you're in the wrong.

It's better to take life one day at a time.
If I spend all my time worrying about what's going to happen tomorrow, or next month, then I'll never enjoy today. I'm sure there's some fancy quote that explains it better than I do, but my point is: I want to live in the moment and soak up all the joys that moment has to offer, rather than spend my time worrying about things over which I have no control.

What do you know for sure?
 

23 comments:

Crystal said...

I don't even know what to comment on because I agree with so much of this! I loved your coffee one (true story: when the Keurig at work broke last week, my boss immediately went out to get another one) and the last one... it's something I have to remind myself of often.

Ashten @ Just Go Left said...

I LOVE THIS SO MUCH.

Probably one of my favorite posts of yours ever.

Anonymous said...

I love this!!

Angela Tolsma said...

Looks like I'm going to be searching out some Blue Bell Ice Cream. This is so well written. I think my favorite line is "Our failures help to shape us into better people"

Kristen @ See You In A Porridge said...

yes to all of these. mainly the bangs and the friends. some things just aren't meant to last and that is okay.

Shann Eva said...

Yes! To All....except, I'm more of a tea drinker than coffee because of my stupid acid reflux. I really love this post.

Breakfast at Lillys said...

YES to all of these!
If I worried about everything there is to worry about, I'd worry myself sick.

xoxo, Jenny

Joy Lynn said...

@Angela Tolsma sadly, there is no Blue Bell by you - it's a Southern thing. BUT you have custard, so hold it close. As amazing as Blue Bell is, I promise Kopp's Frozen Custard in the Milwaukee area beats it out.

And thanks for this Kaylyn. I really needed this reminder for this season I'm in right now. My what-ifs tend to get the best of me and this reminder to enjoy the present was just what I needed.

Unknown said...

love the one that says it's okay to be wrong it so is !!!!! And I love it and never mind admitting I am wrong. Laci go you !!!

Anonymous said...

Kalyn, You are an amazing person and you show it more day after day. Always take life one day at a time. It is all you can do!! I love you and proud of the person you have become!! Love you, Aunt Kelly

Anonymous said...

Kalyn, You are an amazing person and you show it more day after day. Always take life one day at a time. It is all you can do!! I love you and proud of the person you have become!! Love you, Aunt Kelly

Rachel said...

Yes to all of these! This book is on my shelf to read, it sounds like a great one. How can you go wrong with Oprah?!

Christina @ Hugs and Lattes said...

All of these are wonderful!! I really have a hard time taking things one day at a time - something I have to consciously practice every single day.

Autumn @ Autumn All Along said...

I love this post and can relate to a lot of it!!

柯云 said...

2016-03-30keyun
gucci outlet
air jordan 13
fake watches
michael kors outlet
coach factory
louis vuitton outlet stores
oakley sunglasses outlet
mont blanc pens
coach outlet
jordan 11 concord
louis vuitton handbags
hollister kids
true religion outlet
louis vuitton
kids lebron shoes
air force 1
true religion jeans
jordans for sale
nike sb
ray ban sunglasses
coach factorty outlet
ray ban
michael kors outlet clearance
canada goose jackets
louis vuitton bags
cheap air jordans
running shoes
kate spade
gucci outlet
abercrombie outlet
tory burch outlet
coach outlet
the north face outlet
kobe 10
rolex submariner
cheap air max
michael kors uk
replica watches
michael kors outlet

Unknown said...

michael kors handbags
nike roshe
michael kors handbags
converse shoes
jordan shoes
supra shoes
nike outlet store
cheap jordans
cheap michael kors handbags
michael kors handbags sale

xumeiqing said...

20161026meiqing
louis vuitton outlet
cheap nike air max
cheap jordans
louis vuitton bags
nfl jerseys
converse outlet
timberland boots outlet
michael kors outlet
cheap jordans
fitflops sale clearance

wesan michael said...

cheap oakley sunglasses
nike huarache
http://www.chromehearts.us.com
fitflops sale
adidas nmd
adidas neo
yeezy shoes
jordan retro
christian louboutin outlet
tiffany jewelry

xjd7410@gmail.com said...

20161029 junda
louis vuitton sunglasses
ugg canada
instyler ionic styler
longchamp pliage
coach outlet online
tiffany and co jewelry
nike outlet store
mcm outlet
michael kors uk
louis vuitton outlet

Unknown said...

new england patriots jerseys
jordan shoes
yeezy boost 350 white
michael kors outlet online
polo ralph lauren outlet
michael kors uk
coach outlet
ugg outlet
ugg outlet
nike outlet

raybanoutlet001 said...

michael kors uk
air jordan uk
cheap ugg boots
colts jerseys
pittsburgh steelers jersey
nike outlet
michael kors handbags
yeezy shoes
fitflops shoes
mont blanc outlet

John said...

ray bans
mlb jerseys cheap
longchamp sale
kate spade handbags
christian louboutin shoes
yeezy shoes
adidas shoes
canada goose coats
cheap ray ban sunglasses
salvatore ferragamo shoes
20180310yuanyuan

good days said...

شركة تنظيف منازل رخيصة الكويت
شركة تنظيف منازل الاحمدي شركة تنظيف الاحمدي
شركة تنظيف حولي شركة تنظيف منازل حولي

فني كهربائي منازل الكويت فني كهربائي منازل الاحمدي
شركة تنظيف كنب الكويت