Thursday, May 23, 2013

First Run


Let me start off by saying, I am not a runner. I don't wake up in the mornings craving a run, and I certainly don't look forward to running. I'm a squatter, a lifter, a pull up-er, a spinner. But runner? Not really. I will admit though, there is a certain feeling of accomplishment and empowerment after finishing a good run.

Yesterday I had my first "real" run of the year. I say "real" with quotations because, I have actually been running a lot, on the treadmill. Which I don't exactly enjoy, but on days when I don't take spin, I like to get a good two mile run in for some cardio. But lets face it, treadmills/ellipticals are bor-ing. There's nothing I hate more than watching the timer tick town ever so slowly. Yes, music or tv shows make it bearable, but I don't get that "accomplished" feeling I mentioned earlier. I just get a "thank goodness that's over with" feeling.

So anyway, back to yesterday. I decided I wanted to actually run. To go from point A to point B. To feel my feet on the asphalt and to actually go somewhere. I didn't go far... just a little over a mile (I'm starting slow here) but I plan on building up to about 4 miles so I'll be ready for the 5k I'll be running in a few weeks.

(mapped using MapMyRun)
 
The green is where I started and red where I finished and as you can see its the same spot. This doesn't account for the driveway though, so I think it was closer to a 1.3 mile run. That driveway is fierce. Also you see that elevation kicking in around 0.95? Yeah that was a b-word.
 
Even though it wasn't an awesome time, and wasn't an awesome distance, I'm still proud of my self for actually getting out there (in 84 degree weather, mind you) and doing it. This was only running through about half of my neighborhood, so I mapped the whole thing and it would be exactly 3.24 miles (not including driveway) so I'm pretty sure that's the course I'll be using for the 5k. I'm pretty excited about it. I don't really have any goals except to finish. Maybe finish without walking. I'm not going to worry about time just yet since this will be my first 5k in years.
 
Who knows, maybe in a few weeks I'll be an actual runner. You know, the kind that actually enjoys it.
 photo signurature_zpsfdb16b28.png
 
PS: Today is mine and Morgan's first day of class, wish us luck!

2 comments:

Venus Trapped In Mars said...

To be honest, I would have said the driveway was several miles long. ;)

Sarah said...

Good for you! I am not a runner either but started running last year and did a few 5ks. Im aiming for a 10k this year...eeek.