Thursday, May 16, 2013

Living with Girls



If you're like me, in college you live with a lot of different roommates. Whether you live in the dorms, an apartment, fraternity/sorority house, or an actual house, you've probably had some sort of roommate experience. A while back I wrote about what it was like living with boys, now I'm going to reverse that and talk about what it's like to live with a lot of girls.

Amanda, one of my roommates my junior year of college, and one of my best friends to this day.

PROS:
Your closet doubles. The first thing that comes to mind is sharing clothes. This was my absolute favorite thing about living with other girls. As long as everyone returned everything and didn't wear anything without asking, it was great. If you aren't the same size, you can still have access to jewelry, scarves, purses, and any other kind of accessories.

You have someone to watch TV with. If your boyfriend is anything like mine, he's not in to watching Real Housewives, Say Yes to the Dress, Grey's Anatomy or any other show worth watching. Girls, on the other hand love that ish. We can sit down with some chips and dip and watch trash TV like we're getting paid for it and we are glad to do it with company.

No one will judge you for drinking bottles of wine. In fact, they will probably have their own to drink with you and yours.

They will paint your left hand. I had one roommate that could never paint her left fingernails (and I'm the same way) so we always did each others. While watching trash TV and drinking wine.

You will always have a date for margs. Or weddings, shopping, Taco Bell run, dollar movie night, or fro-yo. Most girls are down for anything as long as they have someone to do it with.


Girls are great for middle-of-the-night pranks.
 
CONS:
I can really sum up the cons of living with girls in one phrase: GIRLS ARE CATTY. Period. End of story. I don't care who you are, what kind of girl you are, you do have a biatch side that will come out. I'll give you a good example:

Once, I was leaving to go out of town on a 4 day weekend, so I took the trash down. With the exception of ONE BOX (a beer case) which was filled with all kinds of trash, including paper products, beer cans, and old food. I was not about to touch it, because I was not the one who decided to use a beer box as a trash can. So I left a little note asking the trash-leaver to please take this one box to the dumpster, explaining that I didn't want to put it in my car (the dumpsters were far away). When I got back from the FOUR DAY weekend, the same box of trash was leaned up against the door of my room with a snarky note about my "precious" car. I won't get any further in to it because it still makes me mad to think about.

Should I have grudgingly taken down the nasty box? Hail to the NO. Should I have not left a note? Maybe. My point is, bitches girls be crazy.


Did you have any bad roommate experiences during college?
Linking up with Thursday Thoughts.


8 comments:

Rachel said...

I lived with 7 other girls for 3 of the 4 years I was in college. Although most of them were my friends, it still caused drama (of course, because girls LOVE drama!) Oddly enough, taking out the trash and cleaning were some of our biggest issues. One girl never cleaned her dishes, so to prove a point we put them up on her bed. Needless to say she didn't like that ;P

Kristyn said...

I actually had a bad experience with someone I knew from high school. So, I was randomly paired up with a girl from Orlando my freshman year. We totally hit it off. We are still besties and I love her dearly! Freshman year, she became close friends with the girl from high school that I knew. We then all began to hang out and it was great...for a while. The 3 of us lived together for 3 years I believe...maybe it was 4. Anyways, my bestie left school after Christmas one year and I had to live alone with my high school friend. It wasn't good. We barely talked, she never did the dishes. I tried as hard as I could not to be home if possible when she was home. It was just a mess!

Morgan said...

Oh girl I remember when that happened and you were so mad! I wasn't too fond of living with a bunch of other girls either for the same reason. I was the only one who would take out the trash!

Mandi, the Sassy Fit Mom said...

My college roommate only showed up the first day.. then she moved out before I even gave her reason to. I was not offended though-- I loved the privacy of the private room!


Mandi

(visiting via Thursday's thoughts)

Postcards from Rachel said...

I love all of my girlfriends but I totally quit my sorority after my freshman year just so I didn't have to live in a house full of catty women. Sharing a room with 3 other girls? No thanks.

BREI said...

I lived in the sorority house for 2 years! Living with 69 females made me want to rip my eyelashes out! But then again I have some great memories from living there too. Now the roommate I had a couple of years ago is a while other story. She was a nut job!

Kim Brown said...

Hilarious! I wish I still lived in our sorority dorm (yup, no houses- they were illegal because then they'd be whore houses- TN)I had my own room so I didn't have any bad, only good!
(visiting from Helene in Between, but will be reading more!)

Jay T said...

I once lived with a girl who refused to talk in anything other than a baby voice even though she was 26. In the morning it would be, "hi hi!!" and later, "How going?" It drove me crazy!! And she ALWAYS assumed she could tag along with me to meals or when I was going to hang out with my friends. It was overbearing and at the end of the semester I told her I was going to be living with somebody else. She said to me, "I don't see how you'll ever get married if you can't even commit to living with me for a year." I had no words. I still don't.