Thursday, June 13, 2013

Blogging with a boyfriend

I know there are plenty of single-lady bloggers out there but this post is probably going to resonate more with us bloggers that have a significant other. And some of you married/in a relationship bloggers still may not understand because you have one of those boyfriends/husbands that enjoys reading your blog, takes your outfit pictures for you, and even comes up with some subject matter.


 
That is not the case 'round these parts. So without further ado:

Things my boyfriend doesn't understand about blogging:

1. Blogging is a hobby. A time-consuming, thought provoking, sometimes-headache-giving hobby.
Once Derek told me I needed a hobby so I would have things to do on my off days (this was before school started) and I told him "well... I have my blog." He didn't get it. Obviously he meant something like metal working or racing dirt bikes. Sorry bro, I'm just not into that.

2. Blogging = more pictures. Everyone knows that the quality of the blog post is directly related to the number of pictures in said blog post, right? (Ok not really, but pictures do help). So when I ask you to take a picture of me doing something, don't question it. Just smile and say "okay honey" and pretend like you don't notice when I take pictures of my food. And for Pete's sake, don't ask me if I'm going to blog about it. Yes I'm going to blog about it, le duh.

3. Blogging means more time on the computer. Yes, I will be on the computer a lot more than I was in the past. But unlike when I was just aimlessly Facebook stalking, blogging consists of a lot of writing, reading, responding, and interacting. More than 50% of blogging is interacting with your readers and reading/commenting on the blogs you follow.

4. Yes, we really are friends with people we don't know. One thing Derek can't seem to get through his mind is, no, its not weird that we sit around all day and read about the lives of people we don't know. The blogging community is the one place where I can open up about anything my lil heart desires, and there will be at least one person behind their computer screen thinking, "I thought I was the only one..." thus, a friendship is born.

I will say, Derek is so much better now about understanding blogging than he was when I first started. Either that, or he's just learned to keep his mouth shut about it. But it has take some adjusting (on both of our parts) as to when I'm on the computer and when I'm not. Because we both believe quality time with each other is important.

What are some things your boyfriend/husband doesn't understand about blogging and all that it entails?

Have any other #bloggerprobs? Link up with Autumn!

 photo signurature_zpsfdb16b28.png

Also I am guest posting over at Friday Morning Buzz today while Tami is having the time of her life on vacation (I don't sound jealous, do I?) so go check it out!

17 comments:

Autumn @ The Unreal Life said...

I feel guilty about more time at the computer too...but you're right, it's more...productive/interactive. Not just mindless Facebook wandering.

Thanks for linking up!

Kristine -Heart Shaped Sweat said...

Some days my husband loves the whole blogging world and other days he has these same questions about it! He's a good sport about the pictures and time spent on the computer but he always jokes on me about wanting to "link up" first thing in the morning!

Alex[andra] said...

Haha, Andrew was really supportive about blogging but there are times he's gets super annoyed when I'm like, "Wait, we have to take a picture of this for the blog!" It depends on the day though. Sometimes HE'S the one telling me I need to take a picture and I'm all like.. pfft. As if.

Rachel said...

From my perspective, I'd say about 90% of the blogs I follow are written by someone in a relationship (and most are married!) My bf is super supportive of my blog and writing, but I can totally agree with this list, especially the photo part!

Anonymous said...

Exactly to all of these! My husband likes that I blog, but then he doesn't understand some of the idiosyncracies of it all. :)

Don't patronize me and ask me, "Awe. Are you gonna blog about that?" Whatev!

Kaeley said...

My husband doesn't really get it either. I will admit, between blogging and editing pictures from a week of photo shoots, I spend ALOT of time on my computer....but he spends a lot of time in his garage with his "hobby" (RC trucks...) so I think it's only fair, right?

Anonymous said...

oh goodness I love this post!!!! I go through the EXACT same things with Matt, he just can't get it.. and he's always paranoid I'm going to be murdered through the blog...haha..

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this post! My boyfriend is the EXACT same...definitely can be frustrating at times! Especially when I ask him to play photographer and he grumbles about it the whole time!

Anonymous said...

This is too funny! :)

Paulina @ Color Me Brave said...

Even though I am single, I always tell a guy when I go on a date that I blog. And one guy actually said it was stupid that I do that. So he didn't get a second date.

Unknown said...

I want to start doing more blogs about the different meals we eat at different places. My husband calls me hipster because I take pictures of my food at restaurants... and then I edit it on instagram. BUT he is getting better. I am going to start having him take pictures of my outfits... he just doesn't know it yet.

Kim Brown said...

Baahahaha- my hubs is the exact.same.way. You might like this link up for next week:
http://www.malsmiles.com/2013/06/the-boys-behind-blog-link-up.html

Jackie said...

while I am single, this resonates with me and some of my family and even some friends. They just don't quite get it. I have to specify when something is "blog-related" and what not. And the extra photo-taking. But, i don't let it stop me haha

brooke lyn said...

i get the token 'oh did one of your blog friends tell you that?' whatever haha

Unknown said...

This is something that my husband does not understand! haha..ugh, Boys! yeah we talk to strangers and yes it means more time on the computer but I learn so many things and I love journaling about my life! Thanks for the relatable post!

Tami said...

I can't believe I didn't see this post sooner! All of this is so true for me as well. And the fact that I get so mad when he tries to sit next to me on the couch while I'm writing... I can't focus with him peeking!

Alexandra Yargeau said...

I think you wrote the story of my life here. My boyfriend said to me the other day "I think you love your blog more than me!"