Monday, February 22, 2016

Night Owl to Lark: How I Became a Morning Person

In college, I stayed up until all hours of the night/early morning. I'd put in about 3-4 hours of sleep, then get up and do it all over again the next day. Nursing school was a prime example - early mornings, long hours, and late nights spent studying or writing papers. I even continued these habits into my adult life - staying up until midnight or 1 a.m. just doing nothing important - reading a book or scrolling the internet.

Now, I (usually) wake up at 5 a.m. and get shit done. Here's what I do daily to make life as a morning person a little easier.





START THE NIGHT BEFORE

If I take 10-15 minutes each night to prepare for the morning ahead, it seems to shorten the time it takes for me to get ready by at least 30 minutes - crazy how that works, right? I usually set out my workout clothes and shoes, choose what I'm going to have for lunch the next day, and set up my coffee maker. I don't usually lay out my work clothes because I wear scrubs daily and that takes little to no brain power.

WAKE UP 30 MINUTES EARLIER THAN "NEEDED"

My husband wakes up at 5, and while I don't "have to" be up until sometime between 5:30 and 6 a.m. I usually just go ahead and get up when he does. And by "get up" I mean lay in the bed and scroll through my phone for about ten minutes then get up and get dressed for the gym. This helps with the problem I have with over-snoozing my alarm clock. Plus my husband is noisy when he's getting ready so I may as well get up rather than attempt restless sleep.

GET MOVING

I like to go to the gym every morning because exercise increases endorphins and gives me more energy throughout the day. I'm actually more tired if I skip the gym than if I wake up earlier to go.

EAT A GOOD BREAKFAST

You may  know that breakfast food is my favorite kind of food so I really enjoy getting to sit down to eat some oatmeal or whole wheat toast with (yummy) homemade jam. Studies show that people who eat a healthy breakfast are less hungry throughout the day, have better energy levels, and are healthier in general.

HAVE A BEDTIME

We have a pretty strict weekend bedtime of 9-9:30 pm on weeknights. Some may say that's really early but that's actually just when we leave the living room and start getting ready for bed. I usually stay awake until 10 or 10:30 chatting with my husband or reading a book. Whatever time you choose to set as your "bedtime" sticking to it will help you feel refreshed when you wake up and ready to take on the day.

Are you more productive in the mornings or late at night? What does your morning routine consist of?


24 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post! I wake up earlier than "needed" as well because I need that extra time to fully pull myself awake and collect myself. Then I need to get my coffee ASAP or all hell will break loose! I definitely need to be better about eating a better breakfast though, I usually forgo it completely.

Ashley Lillis said...

Both my husband and I have started to work out since the new year started, and I've found that the only way I actually exercise is if I work out in the morning, which means waking up an hour earlier than usual. We have to make ourselves go to bed between 9:00-9:30, otherwise we don't go to bed until 11:00, and I won't wake up. You have some great pointers!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the tips! I've been trying to become a morning person for some time now, but I've never thought of waking up a bit earlier than needed in order to do all the Instagram scrolling that I use to prolong my time in bed.

DeborahYanni said...

I'm desperately trying to develop a habit of getting up early. I'm naturally an early bird and go to sleep early. That leaves pretty much no time for me to get much done in the evenings like working out and such since most of my evening is taken up by my daughters extra curricular activities. Being a morning person would be ideal for me. But I love sleep. lol

Unknown said...

It's ALL about a routine. From bedtime to the time you get up, it's important that it's consistent. Great tips!! Simple adjustments make all the difference!

Amber Thomas said...

yes yes yes yes yes. we are on the exact same wavelength here. i've also started adopting the habit of dropping my phone on to my side table a half hour (or more) before i go to bed. this allows me to get more reading done before bed, but it also allows me to "unplug" in a certain way. :)

Lisa @ Naptime Chai said...

I'm still working on this bedtime thing, but I have BIG DREAMS that one day I will magically wake up and become a morning person! I love it in theory... now I just need to practice it! You're giving me some extra motivation though. Although a 9pm bedtime... I just don't know about that.

Breakfast at Lillys said...

I can't seem to fall asleep until at least 10:30 or 11 most nights. It kind of sucks but meh, what can ya do? haha I still wake up feeling refreshed so I guess that's all you can ask for.

xoxo, Jenny

Lezley said...

This was a great read. I am such a natural night owl, but as I get older I am having to become more and more of a morning person. These are some really great tips!

Rachel said...

I want to be a morning person but I'm still such a night owl. I can never get to bed at a reasonable time. I want to start getting up a little earlier to get some things done in the morning though. It seems like a great time to be productive.

smalltownsandcitylights.com

Crystal said...

These are excellent tips! I just got a new job and it will require me to get up a bit earlier than I do now... so this post is right on time :)

Katie @ Live Half Full said...

Agreed on all of this! My #1 thing is having a routine for both the night and the morning. It helps so much!

Katie @ LiveHalfFullBlog.com

Emma Byers said...

Love these suggestions, particularly about getting things ready the night before - such a morning time saver! My blogging bestie blogged about her morning routine on our blog last week! http://emma-and-jw.com/how-to-create-a-lasting-morning-routine/

Kristen @ See You In A Porridge said...

yes to all of these! i don't normally eat breakfast until i get to work (after the gym) but preparing the night before and going to bed early (9pm what what) is absolutely essential.

Autumn @ Autumn All Along said...

Becoming a morning person is no small feat. It takes a lot of prep work! Loved reading this because it is something I need to work on!

Jessie Jones said...

Love this. I really love a good bedtime. I'm out by 10 just about every night!

Unknown said...

I need to learn from you!! Thanks for the tips!

Rebecca || www.simplysapough.com

柯云 said...

2016-03-30keyun
oakley sunglasses
cheap jerseys
canada goose outlet
michael kors handbags
jordan concords
michael kors outlet online
kobe 9
louis vuitton outlet
uggs on sale
michael kors
louis vuitton
ralph lauren outlet
jordan retro 11
gucci belt
ralph lauren
louis vuitton outlet
jeremy scott shoes
rolex watches
cheap oakley sunglasses
toms shoes
marc jacobs handbags
toms shoes
ray bans
michael kors outlet
coach factory outlet
designer handbags
tory burch outlet online
michael kors handbags
asics outlet
hollister kids
michael kors uk
hollister clothing
michael kors outlet
oakley sunglasses
louis vuitton
cheap oakley sunglasses
oakley sunglasses
coach outlet store online
ray ban sunglasses

Unknown said...

20160411libinjordan shoes
ray ban sunglasses
herve leger dresses
michael kors factory store
michael kors outlet
oakley sunglasses
nike huarache
nike air max
michael kors outlet
ralph lauren pas cher
adidas wings shoes
true religion jeans outlet
michael kors outlet online
nike roshe run
cheap jordan shoes
hermes outlet
timberland boots
michael kors outlet
ray ban sunglasses
rolex watches
michael kors outlet online
michael kors outlet online
swarovski crystal
adidas trainers
toms outlet
swarovski outlet
polo shirts
lebron james shoes
michael kors outlet sale
michael kors outlet
louis vuitton handbags
ray ban sunglasses
air jordan shoes
nike air max
true religion jeans

Unknown said...

timberland outlet
adidas ultra
kobe 11
adidas eqt support
lebron 15
nfl jerseys
michael kors handbags
curry 3 shoes
lebron soldier 11
damian lillard shoes

Unknown said...

miami heat jersey
miami heat
louboutin shoes
steelers jerseys
green bay packers jerseys
mlb jerseys
coach outlet online
ed hardy clothing
supreme clothing
coach factory outlet

Unknown said...

ray ban sunglasses
yeezy 500 blush
nike air zoom structure 19
hermes belt
michael kors outlet
balenciaga sneakers
kobe 11
tom ford sunglasses
golden goose
michael kors handbags

5689 said...

zzzzz2018.8.9
nba jerseys
salomom shoes
fitflops shoes
ultra boost
adidas nmd runner
canada goose outlet
ralph lauren uk
ugg boots clearance
christian louboutin shoes
moncler jackets

jeje said...

xiajinyi
La perspective basket nike roshe run avis de la bioélectronique est également montré basket nike free 5.0 pas cher dans ces films. Cependant, nike air jordan 7 retro homme il n'est pas compatible air jordan femme en ligne avec le polyéthylène et le air jordan 5 low chinese new year polypro. Clair et net adidas zx 700 femme sarenza avec l'échappement de retour, nike jordan homme grise le Micron GP lisse définitivement asics gel lyte v femme l'aperçu de la moto comme air jordan 5 pre grape aucun autre échappement peut.