Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The Silver Linings Playbook: Book Review


The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick

As you may have read here I finished reading Silver Linings Playbook this weekend. This book has been made into a major motion picture starring Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence (who I'm currently in love with) so naturally I wanted to see it. As I was browsing B&N the other day, I came across the book. Which I didn't even know existed. As I've mentioned before I like to read, and I'm a little obsessed with reading books before I see the movie. Naturally, I had to buy this book. There was no way around it.

 
This book, by far, is one of the best books I have read in a long time. Yes, I have read easy, fun books that are light on the mind and quick to make you laugh. But this book made me think. The emotions I experienced when reading this book were almost overwhelming. One minute I was crying, the next I was laughing; and the next minute I was in awe at the simple joy the characters and story gave me.
 
The story centers around Pat Peoples who was released from a mental institution at the beginning of the book who believes in silver linings and happy endings. He has banned himself from watching movies, because he is currently focused on the movie of his life, directed by God. He is also a die-hard Eagles fan and avid runner and weight lifter. He uses these things to end "apart time" with his estranged ex-wife, Nikki, to regain old friendships, and to make new ones with Tiffany, who has her own dark past. The book deals with love, loss, life Philadelphia Eagles, family, trust, and Kenny G. I read this book cover to cover in less than 48 hours, literally could not put it down. I can't wait to see the movie. I am so glad I stumbled across this book, it will definitely be one of those "re-readers" that I'm so fond of.
 
So if you're looking for an invigorating, soulful, hilarious read, definitely check this one out. 

3 comments:

Amanda English said...

I may have to pick it up then!

xoxo
A-
Today's Post: Ella Lane Giveaway

Helene said...

I definitely need to read this book! I LOVED this movie so so much!

Kalen said...

I just saw the movie last week, maybe I should do the reverse and read it now!